Tuesday, February 26, 2008

acrylic explorations


I have been working for some time now, off and on for several years, with acrylic paint. Inevitably, I would become frustrated and / or have a show commitment, so the acrylics would get put away and I would be reunited with my beloved pastels. Ah……..like coming home. So familiar and comfortable. In recent months, however, my study of acrylics has intensified. I have been spending the majority of my studio time socking it out with this unfamiliar medium. So many new things with which to contend. For instance, drying time: With pastels, there is NO drying time. So in SOME ways, the speedy drying time of acrylics is well suited to my working style. But what about when I want to blend color in a large area? I am moving that brush around like crazy!! And when the colors do dry, they are somewhat darker. I will put down a nice highlight at what I deem to be the ideal value, and when it dries it is darker an almost disappears. Then there are the issue of transparency and fluidity, both new for me. And the choice of substrates on which to work…….and the huge number of additives that can be mixed into the paint to alter its texture. Possibilities are infinite. This is both the good news and the bad news. Much to figure out and so many exciting possibilities, which, in case you were wondering WHY I was pushing myself into this new territory (and believe me, I have asked myself that very question many times) …..is the reason. Stay tuned……..(hint: think Nahcotta in May)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Teresa:

I find your blog words and thoughts to be very insightful and self exploring. I am not surprised that your work is so good because it results from such dedication and honesty with yourself.

Your seacapes of marsh grasses touched me very deeply. They triggered very fond memories of my favorite marsh grass areas in Ipswich and Essex, MA.

It really resonated with me your comments about finding pastels and the downside of acrylics.

I am just learning how to paint and I have been experiementing as you have. I am at the beginning of a whole new phase of my life and I have chosen to dedicate all my body and soul to executing my vision.
Joel