Friday, January 8, 2010

interesting juxtaposition



I recently said to a friend that although I was enjoying the holidays, I was looking forward to getting back to work in the studio. I realize that just being able to make that statement makes me very lucky. I have been moving back and forth between twelve 6” x 6” paintings for the ETA7 show and two 48” x 48” canvases which are somewhat related to my recent pastel series. The larger canvases barely fit on my easel! And as acrylic dries fairly quickly, I need to really move the paint across the surface with a great deal of energy. (This could be a new workout!) Only then can I stand back and evaluate the whole. LOTS more layers to go, but I am enjoying the process and the feeling of expansiveness. After a few days of that, I went back to working on the little guys. These feel very intimate. I am right up against them, working with very fine brushes. It has been an interesting juxtaposition!

No comments: