Wednesday, March 25, 2015

large scale pastels


Wanting to work in pastel on a larger scale, I began to explore materials.  I knew that Golden Artist Paint made a medium specifically for pastels, so I wrote to one to the technical experts at Golden about an appropriate substrate.  He had a number of suggestions.  I decided to try sintra, as it was more like a "board" than like paper.  The surface required several coats of priming, first with gesso and then with the acrylic ground for pastels.  Once the final coat was dry, I had a beautiful, "toothy" surface, just waiting to accept many layers of pastel.  It was so exciting to blend color on this amazing surface and to feel immersed in the larger scale of the piece.  Framed right to the edge, using museum glass, the painting has a very contemporary feel.  This is the first of many to come!

2 comments:

Maisonwares said...

Hi Teresa! I found your work in Nahcotta today and was quite drawn to the pieces there! As a fellow artist, I hope to one day buy one of your large-scale pieces to hang in my home and serve as inspiration for years to come. Thank you for all you do!

teresa mccue said...

Elizabeth,
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding my work! I wish you all the best in your own creative endeavors!